[arin-ppml] REQUEST FOR ARIN STAFF Was: Re: Policy Proposal 120: Protecting Number Resources

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Nov 9 11:11:25 EST 2010

On Nov 9, 2010, at 10:50 AM, Leo Bicknell wrote:

> I have a request for some data from ARIN staff I think would help
> people evaluate this policy.
>
> Can ARIN tell ppml how many IPv4 number resources were reclaimed/revoked
> last year (last 12 months, calendar 2009, whatever is handy) for
> non-payment?

A summary is presented at each ARIN meeting during the Registration
Services report: https://www.arin.net/participate/meetings/reports/ARIN_XXVI/PDF/Friday/nobile_rsd_update.pdf
(slide 4)  This is a total cumulative slide and reflects space in
/16 equivalents; we can work on getting a more granular breakdown
if that would be useful.  This has lines for returned, revoked (for
non-payment), and reclaimed (generally due to fraud).

> My thinking is non-payment largely indicates abandoned resources
> allocated under RSA.  Since ARIN actually has the non-payment hook
> under the RSA, it can give us a glimpse into the order of magnitude
> of the problem.  If they had been legacy resources not under any
> RSA they would likely have ended up the abandoned resources I wish
> to target with this policy.

Non-payment of resources under RSA results in revocation.

> It's not a perfect estimation of the size of the problem in legacy
> space, but it's the only thing I can think of that even gives us a
> rough estimation.

I'm not sure how this information relates to "the problem in legacy
space", but in any case if you need more details, please let me know.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN