[arin-ppml] Comcast

George, Wes E IV [NTK] Wesley.E.George at sprint.com
Tue Nov 9 00:25:53 EST 2010

> On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 10:52 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt<tedm at ipinc.net>  wrote:

>> I frankly am much more interested in what the percentage of that 8
>> million IPs is free Legacy space and what percentage are they paying
>> ARIN for?

[Wes] Taking your question a different way than you intended... Interop
handed back most of a legacy /8, Comcast got a /10. Though I doubt that it's
the same block, this is mostly a wash and I'm impressed at how much
angst/ire/discussion it's generating. As is usually the case with most
people's household finances, we had an unplanned windfall, which immediately
went back out the door for a legitimate use. Nothing to see here, move
along, we're still running out if IPv4 addresses...

>So they must have renumbered dozens of times as they got larger and worked
their way up in size, qualifying for >larger and larger allocations.

>It must have been holy hell on their customers to have to go through all
that renumbering, though.
[Wes] Uh, Comcast is majority residential DHCP customers. How is that hard
to renumber? Add new pool, expire lease, remove old pool. Done. I'd bet that
a large portion didn't even notice, and those who did chalked it up to the
fact that they are trying to run a host service on a dynamic IP, updated
their configs and moved on with their lives.
Yes, there are a nonzero number of static IP customers, but I'd argue that
most of those are not operating really big networks that would be hell to
renumber. Comcast business class service is a relatively recent occurrence.

Wes George