[arin-ppml] Audits

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Fri Nov 5 14:19:27 EDT 2010

In a message written on Fri, Nov 05, 2010 at 01:55:44PM -0400, John Curran wrote:
>   We investigate all Internet number resource fraud reports that are
>   submitted to <https://www.arin.net/resources/fraud/index.html>  We
>   do not investigate allegations made on the mailing lists, and for
>   the sake of the mailing list subscribers do not intend to change
>   that practice.

_I_ would like to see ARIN be much more proactive in looking for
fraud, abuse, defunct companies, and any other odd situations that
might exist.

I think it is great that ARIN has the fraud reporting page and
responds to the community's reports.  However I also strongly believe
that ARIN is in posession of a lot of information that cannot be
made public, but could be used to track down fraud and abuse.  For
instance were someone to lie on their form to ARIN, the community
will never see the form, and never be able to report the fraud.

I understand and support that ARIN needs to be conservative in any
proactive approch.  However being conservative is not an excuse to
do nothing.  It is my personal feeling that the ARIN community has
been screaming via policy and the ASCP for years for ARIN staff to
proactively do more, and yet the tone of your reponses to the mailing
list suggest to me that ARIN is waiting for some clearer sign.

Let me ask the $64,000 question point blank:

  What would the community have to get the ARIN staff to go proactively
  looking for fraud, abuse, defunct companies and other non-compliant
  uses of the address space?