[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2010-10 (Global Proposal):GlobalPolicy for IPv4 Allocations by the IANA Post Exhaustion- Last Call (textrevised)

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Fri Nov 5 08:20:01 EDT 2010

In message <E44E6428-C3AA-48A6-82A2-9FA24E98E018 at delong.com>,
Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

>On Nov 5, 2010, at 12:53 AM, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
>

>> In message <DDE139AF-24A9-4F9A-B524-2CB78272E735 at delong.com>,
>> Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>>> Why? There are very good reasons for ARIN not to publicly disclose the
>>> techniques and methods they use for conducting these audits.
>>
>> I'm listening.  What are those?
>> Do they outweigh the many obvious good reasons to have a clear and transparent
>> statement of the process that all members know they may be held to, without
>> prejudice or favor?
>>
>The process is documented in NRPM12 and is pretty clear.

I think not.  NRPM Section 12 describes in great detail _who_ may be audited
and _when_ they may be audited.  It doesn't say a damn thing about the ``how''
of auditing.

>The specific investigative techniques used inside of ARIN and they particular
>smell tests they use to discover fraud should not be disclosed because disclosure
>of the techniques makes it easier to circumvent them.

That assertion, even if taken as true, does not answer the question I asked.
I asked if the reasons you just stated for why the process should remain
secret _outweigh_ the reasons why it should be made transparent and public.

Granted, there may in some limited cases be some small advantage derived
from keeping the process secret and secretive, e.g. making the process
slightly harder to ``game''.  But what is that in comparison to the kind
of public trust that accrues to a transparent and open public process?

In this country, at least, we tend to favor the transparent, and the public,
over the secret and hidden.  In the words of late Supreme Court Justice
Louis Brandeis, ``Sunlight is the best disinfectant''.

Secrecy breeds suspicion.  And when I and others see some of the stuff that's
been going on... like the stuff attached to the end of this message...  we
_do_ start to wonder what _really_ goes on inside of ARIN.

>> And I am still awaiting even some small clue of what such {an audit}
>>might entail.
>>
>Have you read NRPM 12?

Yes, and it _still_ only describes the who and the when of auditing, and
it still avoids entirely the how of it.

>> Look, I think I've made my interest clear.  I believe, based on evidence,
>> that there is rampant and profligate waste and fraud in IPv4 allocations
>> within ARIN-land, and most of it is unambiguously in the service of spammers.
>
>Care to make any specific claims to back up that sweeping accusation?

I believe that I already did.  Didn't I just the other day post a list of
specific CIDRs that I believe are associated with fradulent WHOIS records?

If you want more, I'll give you more.  There's no shortage of such things,
believe me.

Just as some small additional examples, I am attaching below a list of all
currently announced routes for AS33475 and AS1632.  And also I am attaching
below those route listsing some listings of domain names that are getting
DNS from various addresses in blocks announced by those ASes.  (Notice how
they are all in big clumps of .com domains?)  Some of the routes for the
latter AS are associated with Level3 IP space, and since Level3
apparently escaped any requirement to properly create either ARIN whois
records or even rwhois records for their customers, I cannot say that
those specific routes are associated with ``fraud'' per se, but that's
only because in those cases, there _are_ no directly applicable whois or
rwhois records.

For the rest however, you can, I'm sure, find all of the relevant ARIN
AS and/or IP block whois records.  All of those are fradulent, to one
degree or another.  All this IP space, and all of the associated whois
records are being used as fradulent covers for a single large scale
snowshoe spamming operation located in Chicago.  Although this organization
does have, as you will see, quite a sizable farm of snowshoe spamming domains,
numbering over four thousand, I doubt that it has all that much in the way
of actual networking equipment and/or "hosts", and I don't believe that
the operation has any ``customers'' other than itself.  Still, as you will
see, it somehow has snookered its way past any possible ARIN vetting to
amass quite a lot of IP space.

This is just one example. There are plenty more where this came from.
And I haven't even mentioned the company in Southern California which
specializes in getting IP space for snowshoe spammers and which had
amassed over 500 separate /24s... most with associated fradulent ARIN
whois records... as of the last time I collated my data on them in detail,
about a year ago.  (They still have most of this space, I believe.)

I could go on and on.  The problem isn't finding this stuff.  The problem
is finding anybody in the ARIN community or in ARIN management who gives
a damn.

>As yet I am not convinced this is an accurate statement.

I know you're not.  I also know you haven't seen everything I have seen.
If you had, then you would have no doubts that fraud and waste are indeed
rampant and widespread in ARIN-land.

>Yes, we're running out of IPv4 addresses. Yes, there will probably be some
>people so stubbornly clinging to the idea of continuing to expand the IPv4
>legacy environment that they will be willing to surrender large sums of
>money towards doing so. Those same people have put off the migration to
>IPv6 within their organizations for years (close to a decade at this point)
>because they couldn't see the need. I have little sympathy for them.

Maybe, ya know, some of the people you are talking about _do not_ own
stock in Cisco or in Arbor, or in any other network hardware vendor.
And maybe some of them, like me, have seen that ICANN and its ilk have
fattened themselves at the trough of artificial ``scarcity'', e.g. in
the gTLDs, particularly .COM.  And maybe some of them, like me, know
that IPv4 could have been made to last forever... thus _not_ requiring
the expenditure of massive sums for an artifically created hardware
upgrade cycle... if only the 4 billion+ addresses had been ``shepherded''
properly, starting some long time ago. The fact that you personally have
no sympathy for such folks doesn't prove that they have acted in any-
thing other than a completely rational manner, nor does your personal
rapture over the benefits of IPv6 prove that the only rational course
of action for all players is to immediately switch over to that, lock,
stock, and barrel, and to expend the considerable sums that may be re-
quired in order to do so.

>As I see it, even if you consider "rampant and profligate waste", you
>might expect
>ARIN to reclaim, what, maybe 10 /8s worth of space over the next 5
>years? The
>internet is consuming 2 /8s per month. 2 per year isn't even a drop in
>the bucket.

And who exactly is giving out those two /8s per month?  And what, if anything,
are those folks doing to encourage the wider use of NAT and/or to educate
the space-consuming community about its proper use and potential?

As someone else here just observed, you could most probably put Microsoft's
entire Redmond campus into a single /24 if you just simply did it right.

>Like it or not, reclamation is a slow, deliberate, careful process that
>takes significant time.

Someone else here was just suggested a few ideas to speed that all up.
And those sounded pretty reasonable to me.

>IPv4 is a quagmire of allocations and assignments that
>were issued before ARIN existed. For those allocations and assignments,
>it's very unclear that ARIN has any authority to make such reclamations
>unless the resources are outright abandoned by the original recipient
>or voluntarily returned.

It is equally unclear that they lack such authority, but that is neither
here nor there, I think.  There are vast gobs of IPv4 space that have
succumbed to fraud, vast sums that have been lost to waste, and vast
amounts that are sitting idle, unused, and unrouted, even as we speak.

Hey now!  Here's an idea!  ARIN doesn't want to create a lot of conflict
with the legacy owners who are, in effect, squatting on (i.e. hoarding)
vast amounts of space that they don't even route.  OK.  Fine.  So instead
of ARIN going to these organizations and just rudely and unilaterally
announcing that they are ``taking'' or ``taking back'' the unused space,
how about if ARIN just instead told these organizations ``Hey, look,
we're real sorry about this, but you know, there's a shortage.  So, ummm...
that /10 you have lying fallow over there... well... um... we're going to
BORROW it from you for the next 12 months and let somebody else actually
USE the damn thing.  After that, unless you really have some use for it...
even a lame one... we may borrow it again for another 12 months.  But
don't worry!  No need to get uptight or to call your lawyer.  You still
are, and you will still be the one and only ``official registrant'' of
that space. OK?  No problem.  Thanks a bunch.  And here are two free
tickets to Disneyland, a copy of Yani's latest CD, and an official ARIN
coffee mug, all of which we will be sending to you in apperciation for
you're helping the community in this time of need.''

Well... it sounds a hell of a lot better than ``Get out of the way.  We
are here to repossess your IP space.''

>If you think there is rampant and profligate waste and fraud in space
>issued by ARIN since ARIN was formed...

Wait just a minute there.  Hold your horses.  You just slipped in a qualifier
that *I* never used.  I said that there's rampant and profligate waste and
fraud in ARIN-land, meaning in this RiR geographical region.  I did not
qualify that as being _only_ in post-ARIN-formation ARIN-allocated space,
nor did I qualify it as being in pre-ARIN space.  I didn't qualify it one
way or the other.

But yea, not that you bring it up, yes, most of the instances of fraud
and/or waste in the ARIN goegraphical region that I am seeing are indeed
related to post-ARIN-formation ARIN-allocated space.

>... please present evidence.

See below.  As I have said, there's plenty more where this came from.
And I really would like to know how non-existant entities managed to get
so much space allocated to them from ARIN.  It is truly stunning.

Yea yea yea.  I know what you are going to say... ``We can't tell you because
it is all confidential and all under NDA.''  Yea.  Right.  Bullcrap.  Please
explain gto me how ARIN has _any_ binding contractual commitments to totally
fradulent/fabricated entities which themselves have no legal existance?

This I gotta hear.

Take your time.

>I am of the impression that:
>
>	1.	There is not as much fraud and waste as some people
>               would like to claim.

I understand that that is your impression.

>	5.	Reclamation for the sake of meeting the perceived needs for
>		a continuous supply of IPv4 addresses is like giving small
>		doses of heroin to a junky. It doesn't meet their physiological
>		needs but it continues their addiction.

Yea.  And while we are at it, lets' all run out and buy the biggest gas-guzzling
SUVs we can find, because after all, we all _know_ that we're going to run
out of recoverable oil reseves eventually anyway (and we already know that
the polar ice caps are doomed), so let's all live it up while the sun shines
are leave our grandchildren nothing.

Brilliant.

Regards,
rfg

P.S.  When investigating the existance, or lack thereof, of some alleged
``company'' (such as Layer8Colo, LLC, allegedly of Seattle, WA) it is helpful
to make use of this resource, which was prepared by my friend and fellow
anti-spam plaintiff, Dan Balsam:

   http://www.danhatesspam.com/sos.html

Now will somebody please tell me how a non-existant company manages to get
from ARIN _both_ (a) its own AS number and also (b) quite a lot of IPv4
address space.  (See below for AS1632.)

Yea yea yea.  I know. It's all covered under NDA and can't be revealed,
even though this hypothetical binding NDA was a contract entered into by
ARIN on the one hand, and by a bogus non-existant legal fiction on the
other hand.  So now please do remind me... In this case, ARIN has a legal
responsibility to who (or what) exactly?

Nevermind.  I think I know the answer already... "It's secret."  That seems
to be the answer to just about every question that ARIN wuld prefer not to
answer.

AS33475 routes:
--------------------
63.221.208.0/24

[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]

[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]