[arin-ppml] Audits

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Nov 5 02:32:36 EDT 2010

On Nov 4, 2010, at 8:23 PM, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

> On 04 Nov 2010 08:58, John Curran wrote:
>> On Nov 4, 2010, at 5:49 AM, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
>>> I haven't asked about the future.  I want to know what you are doing right now, today, in the way of reviewing utilization of existing allocations.  (And if the answer is "nothing", then don't be bashful... just say "nothing".  Nobody will begrudge you for the truth.)
>> Reviewing utilization of existing resources doesn't generally occur unless you're apply for additional resources, and hence may not be relevant to the vast majority of legacy resource holders.
>
> IMHO, that is unfortunate.  My intent (I can't speak for Owen's) behind
> 2007-14 was that ARIN would actively seek out unused/abandoned resources
> for reclamation.  The policy did not _force_ ARIN to do so because I
> believed you would proceed as quickly as ARIN's staffing and finances
> allowed.  It appears I was wrong, and I'll look at submitting a proposal
> to "correct" this problem in the next cycle; hopefully it won't be too
> late to matter.
>
> POC invalidation should be an input (one of many) into the selection of
> targets for an active review program, not merely something that is just
> marked in the database and promptly forgotten.  If an org doesn't
> respond to validation requests, odds are they won't respond to review
> requests either and reclamation will be nearly automatic (after an
> appropriate time-out period, of course).

2007-14 (now NRPM 12) specifically doesn't allow ARIN to target legacy
resources beyond what they would have done before NRPM 12, but,
does allow ARIN to count utilization data for legacy resources when
measuring utilization for an organization which has both legacy and
non-legacy resources.

The LRSA provides additional protection for legacy holders which have
signed it.

I do think that in the case of POC abandonment or invalidation, ARIN
should be actively seeking to reclaim that space. I am not sure it should
be placed in to the free pool or issued to other organizations unless
ARIN is absolutely certain the previous resource holder is no more.

Owen