[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2010-10 (Global Proposal):GlobalPolicy for IPv4 Allocations by the IANA Post Exhaustion- Last Call (textrevised)

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Thu Nov 4 06:22:26 EDT 2010

In message <4CD0D768.3060905 at ipinc.net>, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm at ipinc.net>
 wrote:

>On 11/2/2010 5:38 PM, Bill Darte wrote:
>> Never, in my memory, has the debate over recovery of legacy addresses
>> been given more than superficial treatment.
>>

>I think that this is because ultimately the goal isn't to take legacy
>resources away that are IN USE.
>
>Ultimately the goal should be to take legacy resources away that are
>either being hoarded, or are abandoned.
>
>Aaron's example is towards the point, but it doesn't go far enough.
>You see, as long as all of the 256 people who "bought" the /24's from
>Bob are USING THEM then really there isn't a problem.
>
>The problem is that 3 years after Bob has done his "sale" about
>50% of the orgs he "sold" to are still using their /24's - and the
>rest aren't.  Bob got his money, he's not interested anymore.  And
>ARIN has no lever to make Bob get interested.

Going from the abstract to the concrete...

149.47.0.0/16 is/was a legacy assignment.  It was originally allocated
to a NYC ISP.  That ISP folded, and the original owner sold what remained
of the ISP's assets, including the /16, to an ISP in Canada named Rackster.
Rackster then apparently resold the entire /16 to a spammer in Ohio named
Sean Q, Page.

At present, it appears that Mr. Page is using very little of that /16.
It would be Nice if ARIN could get some or all of that back.

>There are too many people now in the ARIN community that just want to
>bury IPv4 and really aren't interested in mining possibly usable IPv4
>from Legacy resources.  They want to believe if we just ignore it we
>can leave IPv4 behind in a few years and switch everything to IPv6 and
>they won't believe this isn't going to happen right away until it just
>doesn't happen right away.  Maybe they are right.  I just hope that if
>they are not, that they start mining.

I think they are wrong, and within 12 months, the spaghetti is going to
start to hit the fan.