[arin-ppml] Reclaiming unused IPv4 space (WAS: Draft Policy 2010-10 (Global Proposal):GlobalPolicy for IPv4 Allocations by the IANA Post Exhaustion- Last Call (textrevised))

Chris Grundemann cgrundemann at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 17:38:04 EDT 2010

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 10:28, Hannigan, Martin <marty at akamai.com> wrote:

> On 11/3/10 12:20 PM, "John Curran" <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>
>> On Nov 3, 2010, at 9:06 AM, Chris Grundemann wrote:
>>> 3) If the community adopted a policy which stated that unused
>>> resources assigned/allocated to defunct organizations should be
>>> reclaimed by ARIN, could ARIN reclaim such space? Would you actively
>>> work to?
>>
>> As long as we can understand the policy as defined, we will actively follow
>> any policy adopted.
>
> I guess I'm wondering if there is a problem to solve?

I am basing my opinion that there is potentially a need for policy
primarily on two things.

The first is that there is space out there that has no legitimate
responsible party. If there is not much of it, then the workload to
reclaim it will be small. If there is a lot of it than the reward for
doing so will be high. Seems like a win to the community either way to
me (not to stave off depletion but to uphold Whois integrity and fend
off hijackers, spammers et. al.).

The second is what John said today (and has said in different words in
the past): "...there is significant interest in reclaiming resources
from organizations which are defunct.  Presently, there is a lack of
policy in this area, so ARIN has no direction to "pressure those who
may be squatting on unused space..."." Not to mention space that
doesn't even have anyone squatting on it at all (yet).

> I thought that this
> came up at a recent policy meeting; it "looks" like we aren't doing
> anything, but in fact we are and that statistics would be posted to
> demonstrate e.g. we have stats on fraud reporting and they clearly
> demonstrate what some think is fraud really isn't.

I remember something similar being said in Atlanta about fraud related
audits but I don't recall anything regarding unused space or defunct
orgs.

I would love to see any facts and figures that ARIN or anyone else has
WRT abandoned space or space belonging to defunct organizations. As I
understand it, until there is actual fraud (falsifying Whois data)
ARIN pays little attention to this space at this time.

> Any way we can demonstrate if there really is a problem before writing a
> proposal that is likely to be very difficult to reach consensus?

If there is no problem (no unused space in the swamp), then the policy
should be easy to reach consensus because there will be nothing to
reclaim. If there is a problem, then I have a hard time seeing defunct
organizations actively barring the path to adoption... =)

Cheers,
~Chris

--
@ChrisGrundemann