[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2010-10 (Global Proposal): Global Policy for IPv4 Allocations by the IANA Post Exhaustion - Last Call (text revised)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Nov 2 11:12:20 EDT 2010

On Nov 2, 2010, at 8:57 AM, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> I think this is correct. But let's not forget: legacy holders also have the ability not to return address space at all; i.e., they could keep it or transfer it privately if they chose to.

Milton -

   I'm not certain what "transfer it privately" means, so for avoidance of doubt I'll state that legacy holders may bring their resources under an LRSA, and then participate in transfers per the policies in the ARIN region. NRPM section 8.3 provides such legacy address holders the ability to have a Specified Transfer to recipient which otherwise meets the allocation/assignment policy.  This might be seen as useful at the point in time when ARIN has no free resources available. At present, transfers to parties in other regions isn't possible, but there has been a policy proposal submitted for consideration which would change that.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN