[arin-ppml] Advisory Council Meeting Results - May 2010

Joe Maimon jmaimon at chl.com
Fri May 28 10:36:12 EDT 2010

Owen DeLong wrote:
> Joe,
> 	Your proposals which were abandoned were abandoned unanimously.
> Like Scott, I can't speak for the entire AC, but, I can tell you that I voted to
> abandon your proposals because I felt they failed the following tests:
>
> 	+	Community support
> 	+	Technically Sound policy
> 	+	Useful policy
>
> 	I'm not sure that the policies as you proposed them were particularly
> clear, but, that could have been resolved later in the PDP if it were the only
> issue.

Owen,

Certainly your decisions on these tests consist of summary judgment non
only on community support or lack thereof, but on the substance of the
proposals themselves.

That is well within your rights and the role of the AC. Naturally I
disagree with you on at minimum the latter two, and for the first, I
remain unconvinced that enough opportunity has been offered.

I also am unconvinced that the proposals were dealt with in consistent
manner, both together with your own proposal and as per previous PDP
cycles. The questions, perhaps unanswerable,  that I have is to what
extent does the clarified AC position on IPv4 play a role here and how
that may have differed from previous PDP cycles prior to that clarified
position.

> 	I do not take abandoning a proposal lightly, and, neither, I believe, do
> any of my fellow AC members.  I do not believe this is a trend of the AC
> passing summary judgment on proposals. I do believe this is a series of
> less than useful proposals which the AC has appropriately chosen to
> abandon rather than place on its docket.

Thank you for your assurances.

> 	As always, the petition process remains open to you. That is the intended
> and natural safeguard against the AC abandoning proposals which have
> community support. I will point out that as of yet, even the most successful
> petitions have not led to the proposals being finally adopted.

This proves nothing. It is completely non deterministic. However were it
to be occurring a case that the AC was not acting as per the interests
of the community could be made from that.

> 	Perhaps rather than regard this as a disturbing trend by the AC, you
> could view this as simply the AC doing their job and focusing on policy
> proposals which do pass the above tests.
>
> Owen

As far as I can tell, those of us who are participating are all
performing our respective jobs/roles.

Thanks,

Joe