[arin-ppml] Advisory Council Meeting Results - May 2010

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri May 28 06:59:34 EDT 2010

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 12:21 AM, John Springer <springer at inlandnet.com> wrote:
> This may be starting to be more suitable for arin-discuss, but I'll leave it
> here for now.

John,

That's good since the topic is fostering public participation and
arin-discuss is a members-only list.

This illustrates the problem... no one ever intends to exclude the
public. They do it carelessly, one questionable choice on top of
another, until the public stops trying and no insider can understand
why the outreach efforts aren't working.

That's why in situations where public participation is important for
success, the impact on public participation has to be considered front
and center in every decision, even the seemingly trivial ones.

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 3:27 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm at ipinc.net> wrote:
> As I see the ARIN meetings, they should be more of a "rubber stamp"
> and less of a "discussion" since frankly the proposals SHOULD have
> been extensively discussed and hashed out ON THE MAILING LIST BEFORE
> THE MEETING TAKES PLACE.

Ted,

As convenient as I would find that personally, I worry that it would
exclude a part of the public that offers valuable input into the
policy process but can't allocate the time it takes to keep up with
the PPML.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004