[arin-ppml] Policy for IANA to hand out v4 post exhaustion question.

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Wed May 19 17:20:25 EDT 2010

Martin,

   Please explain how John Sweeting's 5/12 AC statement relates to
this:

   Let me repeat the relevant section:

"... the AC would like to advise the community that unless a proposal
affecting IPv4 assignments has a compelling benefit for and receives
strong initial support from the community the AC will most likely choose
to abandon the proposal..."

   Do you really feel your going to get ARIN support for this?

   Besides that, IANA handed out six /8's in the first 3 months
of this year and has only 18 of them left - and I think 2 of them
went over the last two weeks.  They have now handed out more than
the entire of 2009 and it's not even the 6 month mark.  It's a
virtual certainty that they will hit the 5 /8 mark by the middle of
next year, and then all the remaining /8's will be flushed out -
and IANA will be out of the IPv4 business.

   It's an almost virtual certainty that IPv4 reclamation post-IANA
IPv4 runout will remain at the RIR level.  Why would an RIR give IPv4
"back" to IANA post-IANA runout?

   The sooner that IANA is out of the IPv4 address business the
better.  If you want to discuss reclamation policy then I for one
would NOT support a global IPv4 reclamation policy that applied to
all RIR's.  I'm a fan of IPv4 reclamation but only at the RIR level.

Ted