[arin-ppml] ARIN Advisory Council Thoughts about IPv4 Policies

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Mon May 17 12:13:35 EDT 2010

In a message written on Fri, May 14, 2010 at 04:45:49PM -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>   I think this is disingenuous.  At this point in time with IPv4 end
> game in sight there won't BE any IPv4 proposals that have strong
> community consensus.

I don't agree.  I suspect as we get closer to the end game, and
start to see transfers (in particular) there will be a mini-flood
of proposals to adjust how transfers are completed.  There may also
need to be adjustments to other qualification policies based on
what exists in the transfer market.

Indeed, I think the AC's approach is sort of backwards.  One of the
things holding back IPv6 is that it is a moving target.  There are
changes to the qualification criteria, changes to the fee structure,
changes to what end users get and how.  All of the confusion and
worry is in that space, and that's where the community needs
stability.  I don't think a v6 policy freeze is the way to do that,
but IPv6 stability needs to be a focus.

I think the proposals the AC wants to reduce are things dealing
with how ARIN allocations the IPv4 free pool.  I suppose that's a
valid effort, although they will also soon go away as a result of
not being relevant.  The problem though is that the transfer market
is predicated on "qualifying" for IPv4 space.  So while ARIN may
have no more free pool to allocate those criteria will still be
very much in use to qualify folks for the transfer market.  There
will be friction, and there will be proposals to change those
criteria not for the free pool, but for the transfer market.

I actually think the AC will likely do the right thing over time
as a natural consequence of rationally evaluating each proposal.
The mistake here was the statement, if you ask me, as it oversimplified
the problem and created confusion.