[arin-ppml] ARIN Advisory Council Thoughts about IPv4 Policies

Joe Maimon jmaimon at chl.com
Fri May 14 18:00:03 EDT 2010

Hey Ted,

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> The AC's position of damn the torpedos, full speed ahead has NO LESS
> validity than your position of let's do what we can to eke out a few
> more years of IPv4.

That is not my position. My position is that we should try and do what
we reasonably can to prepare for the possibility that we may need IPv4
more or longer than we either expected or wanted and to explore what if
any possibilities exist to try and arrive at the lesser of undesirable
outcomes should that be the case.

Normally that is considered the conventional approach.

Even the titanic had a women and children first policy. Where are our
lifeboats? Are there enough of them?

Unfriendly reclamation has never been my position. I am against that. I
want ARIN to be making friends, not losing them.

I am in favor of incentives for return or mild disincentives for non
return, incentives for maximizing efficiency if or while it still
matters. Incentives require relevancy.

The transfer policy, which serves as the legitimization of a potential
trading market for addresses should provide a good part of that.

Some may feel that is enough. Some may feel that it is more than enough.
Some may feel that there is more that can and should be done.

I would prefer the latter not be publicly discouraged by informing them
that the field is already tilted in their disfavor.

Speaking for myself, I would probably have still submitted the two
proposals I did, even after this announcement. But that could just be
due to my thick skin (or thick head).

> If you REALLY BELIEVE in your proposition that we need to spend a lot
> more time on IPv4 policy tweaks then HAVE FAITH IN YOUR POSITION. As
> I already stated, the AC position merely "informalizes" what is already
> part of the process, so if YOU ARE right, then the community will surely
> see this sometime in the future and there then will indeed be, as the
> AC put it, IPv4 proposals that "have a compelling benefit for and
> receive strong initial support from the community"
>
> Ted

What, is it not possible to be correct and still not gain community
support, at least not within enough time to actually make a difference?

Either way I expect to have lots of fun and excitement.

Joe