[arin-ppml] [arin-discuss] x-small IPv4 ISPs going to IPv6

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Mon May 3 13:14:03 EDT 2010

On 4/30/2010 5:39 PM, James Hess wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 7:17 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt<tedm at ipinc.net>  wrote:
> [snip]
>> Also since ARIN is duty-bound to return that .8 Mil in the form of
>> fee DECREASES then the real argument is this, do we want the
>> ultimate revenue ARIN takes in to NOT increase as a result of IPv6
>> or do we want it to DECREASE so we all (ISPs who are NOT x-smalls)
>> can get a nice break on our own fees?
>
> Why do you say ARIN is duty-bound in any way to return "that .8 Mil"?
> I don't think that is right at all.
>

> There are probably various useful ways in which ARIN could spend that
> to perform ARIN's duties better.  Reducing fees or  'returning' $$ is
> just one option,
> but not particularly  beneficial to ARIN's  continued survival.
>
> Also in terms offsetting  loss of IPv4 allocation-related revenue
> after V4 exhaustion.
>
> And new expenses incurred  related to managing IPv6 address space
> and service enhancements,  outreach, etc...

ARIN is a non-profit and thus cannot make a profit, the "IPv6 x-small
windfall" must therefore be returned in fee decreases, or spent
on increased operations.

You can assume that inflation
will chew up some of the "IPv6 x-small windfall", and you can assume
that growth in ISP's will chew up more (although, the region ARIN is
responsible for is pretty well saturated at this time as it is) you
can also assume some of the community mandates (Whois cleanup, increased
IPv6 resource tracking) will chew up even more

But, ARIN is not so poorly run that outreach and managing of IPv6
address space is going to significantly increase their budget.  Also
I'll point out that outreach is already being paid out of the current
budget, and that it will not be needed once the majority of ISP's
get the message about IPv6.

The .8 Mil is also only the tip of the iceberg.  There are also all
of those Legacy IPv4 resource holders who are paying very little to
ARIN now who will have to step up and start paying what the rest of us
are paying when they go to IPv6.

As I said,

"do we want the ultimate revenue ARIN takes in to NOT increase as a
result of IPv6 or do we want it to DECREASE so we all (ISPs who are NOT
x-smalls) can get a nice break on our own fees?"

That is the question.  Some would want a decrease in their fees
(or, a holding of the line against fee increases, which amounts to
the same thing)

Others, such as you, obviously, are game for going on a fishing
expedition looking for things to spend money on.

I can't speak
for the community but I strongly suspect your not going to find many
supporters of the "fishing expedition" approach

Ted