[arin-ppml] The role of NAT in IPv6

Chris Engel cengel at sponsordirect.com
Wed Mar 31 10:55:47 EDT 2010

Owen Delong wrote:

> Actually, the places that most need to deploy IPv6 at this
> point being eye-ball ISPs and the public-facing portions of
> content and services providers, I don't think that NAT has
> been an actual barrier to adoption in either of those spaces.
> The vast majority of people calling for NAT66 are the
> enterprise interior, which is, IMHO, the least critical and
> least likely group to get on the IPv6 bandwagon quickly
> regardless of what is done to appease them.

Well, in addition to being an Enterprise...my company is also an ASP.... which I believe would qualify as a "content and services provider" under your definition.

So lets see, if I want to deploy IPv6 currently....

 - Huge transition costs

 - No support for tools I rely on every day to make MY environment work the way I want it.

 - Out of compliance with current regulatory standards.

Gee Whiz... where do I get to sign up for that?

Christopher Engel