[arin-ppml] The role of NAT in IPv6

Chris Engel cengel at sponsordirect.com
Mon Mar 29 14:17:05 EDT 2010

Kevin Kargel wrote:

> >.... but essentialy getting
> > ULA-C assignment for ones equipment shouldn't generaly
> hinder/count
> >against getting an assignment of Public IP address space for
> a subset
> >of  that same equipment. That's about the only issue I could
> see that
> >would be  relevant to the current discussion.
>
> I will agree with you so long as the ULA-C never takes a
> global routing slot.  The instant it does then it is GUA and
> should incur the same costs and justifications that GUA does.

Kevin,

I agree with this. That is kind of the whole point between ULA space, is it not? If ULA of what-ever type starts to become globaly routed...then it looses a good chunk of it's value to the persons using it...I would think.

The appropriate solution for some-one who wants "not-connected now, but maybe some-time in the future" space....and isn't willing to renumber...I would think would be to request GUA space (with the same costs and justifications as any other GUA request) ....and work it out with thier upstreams NOT to route that space until the organization is ready.

Christopher Engel