[arin-ppml] The role of NAT in IPv6

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Mon Mar 29 12:21:36 EDT 2010

On 29/03/2010 17:00, Chris Engel wrote :
> I hate to tell you all this but...IF IPv6 does see general adoption...NAT/PAT (including many:1 NAT) WILL eventualy be running under it. The reason is simple....there are too many people just like me that find it useful and are willing to pay for it. Eventualy there WILL be vendors who recognize that demand and want to CASH IN on it. They will find a way to make it work in IPv6 even if it involves some very ugly hacks to the protocol.... and you WILL be living on an internet that involves NAT. The only thing that you will achieve by fighting to make NAT harder to use in IPv6 is slowing the adoption of IPv6 itself.

Urban Myth #3230: Not allowing XYZ will slow the adoption of IPv6 itself.
Reason: IPv4 addresses are running out. When the pain threshold for IPv4
addresses will be reached, IPv6 adoption will increase in rate. (and of
course, yu can reply with Urban Myth #3231...)

I'd be really grateful if this matter could be put to bed. I mean - it's
obvious that there are two sides which don't agree. This discussion can
go on ad-infinitum and I somehow don't see a solution to this. I'm
usually not someone to say this, and I humbly hope that I shan't offend
anyone, but in this instance, it's becoming repetitive...

Thanks,

Olivier

--
Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond, PhD