[arin-ppml] The role of NAT in IPv6

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Mon Mar 29 09:35:33 EDT 2010

Lee Howard wrote:

>>> From: David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu>
>>> ARIN doesn't
>>> set routing policy, get over it, just because ARIN gives out an address doesn't
>>> mean it will get a routing slot.  And if that 6 person company, is
>>> generating $6M in revenue it can afford to buy its routing slot.  If it is
>>> generating $6K, probably not.  Why should ARIN be that judge?
>
> Not that ARIN should be a routing arbiter, but we probably shouldn't make
> policy that we believe will cause disconnectivity.

The desire for disconnected addressing is precisely what started this
conversation.  Or at least the desire for guaranteed unique addressing
free form the politics of routing table slots.  There are many uses for
addresses that it is perfectly fine that no one will ever accept the
associated route.  But, you still may want them to be globally unique
and to have reverse DNS.

So at least in the case on ULA-C type addresses, I have to completely
disagree with your statement.  There is a segment of the community that
needs ARIN to provide addresses without regard to routability or
connectivity.

Given the need to disregard for routability or connectivity for ULA-C,
there is an argument that they need to be disregarded for GUA-PI too.
Otherwise ULA-C will likely be abused, and used in place of GUA-PI.  Up
to this point, that has been used as an excuse to not do ULA-C.

I would like to agree with your statement for GUA-PI, but I think
getting ULA-C and GUA-PI into users hands is more important, and
necessary for the adoption of IPv6, than our wish to maintain
connectivity for GUA-PI by default.

Besides there are already providers not accepting GUA-PI and therefore
creating disconnectivity at this time. So, should we roll back the
current GUA-PI policy because of that? Should we demand that those
providers accept GUA-PI?  Or, should we let the marketplace figure that out?

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952