[arin-ppml] The role of NAT in IPv6

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Mon Mar 29 03:30:42 EDT 2010

> If that's a concern, then get GUA space out of the gate and
> you'll never renumber again. I believe GUA should be made
> cheap and relatively easy to get (instead of something using
> something like ULA and NATing it).

Global Unicast Addresses have been available for years now.
ARIN, and the other RIRs have been allocating from 2000::3
(Global Unicast Address) and the process has been made
easier every year.

> While some will argue this will lead to an explosion in the
> v6 routing table (and there is definitely merit to their
> argument)

That's why ULA-C was thought up. Because blocks are randomly
allocated, they cannot be aggregated at all, but because they
aren't intended for Internet use, it is easy to simply filter
the whole range like any other bogon range.

--Michael Dillon