[arin-ppml] IPv6 Non-connected networks

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Fri Mar 26 11:49:05 EDT 2010

> 1. Registrant generates a prefix on ula.nro.net, the tool can
> generate regular ULA or registered ULA.

While there might be the same tool behind all of this, I would
rather have the registrants interact directly with their local
RIR and leave the nro.net URL for things like information,
directory lookups, and global things like ULA-RANDOM. In other
words, a tool on nro.net which would generate ULA-RANDOM
according to the RFC documented algorithms.

> 2. The Registrant contacts the appropriate RIR,

If the nro.net website directs them to the correct RIR
page for registering a ULA-C address, then it is sufficient.

> 5. Once the RIR determines the registration is no longer
> valid (including any hold time) the RIR returns the prefix to
> the pool.

I think that there should be a hold on any used blocks for
about 5 years before releasing them for reuse.

> Other than a few worries related to sparse database problems
> I think it could work.

I'll leave things like that to the RIR tools people.

--Michael Dillon