[arin-ppml] IPv6 Non-connected networks

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Mar 24 16:03:55 EDT 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 12:41 PM, Michael K. Smith - Adhost
<mksmith at adhost.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure I understand how NAT fixes this any more than properly
> applied firewall rules would.

Hi Michael,

Properly applied firewall rules secure a system regardless of the
methodology. Dwelling on that misunderstands the nature of security.
Strength of security lies in depth: people being people, mistakes will
be made. In the config. In the code. Everywhere. What happens then?

A firewall is a door with a lock. Unlock the door, forget to re-lock
it and you're done.

A NAT firewall is a door with a pneumatic closer, a prox card reader
and a pin code. This latter is less vulnerable to attack: stealing or
duplicating the prox card is as hard or harder than picking a lock and
even once you have the card, you still need the matching pin code for
entry.

Either way you're screwed when an authorized entrant politely holds
the door, but that remaining vulnerability doesn't diminish the
difference in security between the two.

> The other thing no one is discussing is the outbound complexities of NAT
> and specifically PAT, given that your various models support only some
> hosts with static mappings.  Given that a significant amount of problems
> on the network are initiated from the inside by infected hosts, you now
> have to go through your translation tables to determine which of your
> multitudinous inside hosts is responsible for sending out cruft.

NAT has a price tag. In fact, it has several. An increase in
post-breach forensics complexity is one of those prices. What
discussion would you like about a fact that isn't disputed?

> As with any technology NAT is like any
> other, with good and bad characteristics.

Of course it is, and I wouldn't suggest otherwise. Nor would I suggest
that the strongest security always the best choice. Strong security
tends to come at a usability price that can be inappropriate for the
situation.

However, everything else being equal, an address-overloaded NAT
firewall is stronger security than a non-overloaded NAT firewall which
is stronger security than a merely stateful firewall which is stronger
security than a packet filter which is stronger security than relying
solely on the individual hosts to be resilient to attack.

And I will suggest that for any given firewall configuration, the
otherwise-identical configuration that also does NAT has implemented
stronger security.

I'll also claim that while address-overloaded NAT's conservation
benefit is more or less pointless in IPv6, its impact on security
remains significant, no different than in IPv4. Where the decision to
use NAT did not revolve around address conservation, there is little
reason to believe a substantially different decision will be reached
when implementing IPv6.

> Apparently NAT is religion.

I've seen that before too but I don't see it here. What I see here is
folks trying to address the forceful ignorance that lies in the claim
from a certain individual who should know better to the effect that
the presence of NAT is a security no-op.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004