[arin-ppml] ULA-C and reverse DNS

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Mon Mar 22 11:12:06 EDT 2010

Michael Richardson wrote:
>     Owen> I think that it makes far more sense to make a liberal GUA
>     Owen> policy that allows people to get GUA if they need it
>     Owen> regardless of whether they need it for internet or not.
>
> Okay, I can live with this, as long as it's a simple web form w/online
> payment and no further questions.  Something a manager of a small lab
> can get without signatures from twelve other entities in the "IT"
> management part of the enterprise.

The brain damage inside any enterprise should not drive global policy
for resources.  It is not the job of global policy to tell an enterprise
how to run itself, and it would really be a bad idea for global policy
to enter the realm of enterprise politics.

> But:
>         a) Is the price the same as for GUA?
>         b) Is the needs-requirement the same?
>
> If the answer is YES, then it's not a policy. Its status quo.
> If the answer is NO, then there are those that will argue that this will
> be used as a run-around "routing" policy.

Are you suggesting that each sub part of an enterprise should be able
get its own /48?  Are you suggesting there should be no limit to the
number of /48s a enterprise can get?  It sounds to me like that is what
you are suggesting.

I think that is unwise for ULA-Central or normal global unicast.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952