[arin-ppml] IPv6 Non-connected networks

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Fri Mar 19 10:20:34 EDT 2010

>>>>> "michael" == michael dillon <michael.dillon at bt.com> writes:
    michael> I think that we should go ahead with allocating a /8 for
    michael> ULA-C addresses without any significant technical changes
    michael> to this Internet draft
    michael> <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ipv6-ula-central-02>

    michael> However, there could be some changes to clarify who does
    michael> what, etc.

Very good analysis. I'm on board!

    michael> As for whois, none of these numbers would be recorded in
    michael> the RIR whois directories. However, each RIR should operate
    michael> an instance of the ULA-C directory lookup tool which will
    michael> query single /48 blocks from the allocation tool's
    michael> database.  This should not pose any serious problems to

Are you saying that when I do a whois on this ULA-C, that the server
will go do that query for me?

    michael> Potentially, ULA-C blocks could seem useful to COIN
    michael> (Community Of INterest) internetworks, but in practice the
    michael> costs would be higher than necessary, and the
    michael> impossiblility of prefix aggregation only causes
    michael> operational problems. I expect that a COIN will simply
    michael> register a /32 and assign from that much like any other
    michael> ISP. However, it is quite possible that a small scale COIN
    michael> will simply require all members to use a ULA-C block
    michael> because a small COIN is pretty much the same scale as a
    michael> two-party private extranet connection. And a two-party
    michael> private extranet is identical, from a technology viewpoint,
    michael> to an M&A scenario where two organizations begin to merge
    michael> their networks.

I agree with you.

    michael> I would encourage ARIN and RIPE folks to work on a global
    michael> policy for ULA-C that assumes IETF approval of a ULA-C
    michael> RFC. Then, once we have the global policy, I believe that
    michael> the IETF will approve a ULA-C RFC that creates ULA-C
    michael> addresses.

The communications I have had say that the IETF is waiting for the RIRs
to tell them what they need.

] mcr at sandelman.ottawa.on.ca http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
	               then sign the petition.