[arin-ppml] ULA, GUA, NCN and the potential for abuse

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Fri Mar 19 06:33:55 EDT 2010

> I can't help but think that the number of people who use RFC
> 1918 space now instead of requesting unique addresses but
> would not be happy with RFC 4193 for a similar private
> network is going to be quite small.

It only takes one person disatisfied with RFC 4193, to make
this disatisfaction into a majority view. If that one person
is a technical magazine columnist, their views can be very
quickly adopted by a huge number of techies who all have
technical decision making power at their companies. You may
moan about how these people are all technically wrong, but
the fact is that the technical community today is huge, and
99% of them don't know much about the IETF other than the fact
that RFCs are the law unless a vendor says otherwise.

If people have no choice, they tend to attack those imposing
no choice. I say we should create ULA-C to give them a choice,
because that way, there will be less heat and light wasted.

--Michael Dillon