[arin-ppml] RIPE/ITU

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Mar 4 14:16:12 EST 2010

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 9:52 AM, James Hess <mysidia at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 7:39 AM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>> accept a change. And IANA has been the authoritative source for
>> numbers used on the Internet since it was brought into being for that
>> purpose, well before there was a commercial Internet. Excepting
>> accidents every ISP accedes to that. And practically speaking, there's
>
> Yes, but why does every ISP accede to that?
> Do they fear the government will come in and shut them down or
> fine/jail them for not using only IP addresses they got re-assigned by
> a RIR or LIR?

James,

They rightly fear their peers and transits will shut them off or at
least tightly filter them if they offer a competing announcement for
space ARIN assigned to someone else. But they accede to it because
they system doesn't work unless someone plays the registry role and
IANA and the RIRs are more than good enough at the job to avoid any
groundswell movement for replacement.

Which in the abstract is the same process by which governments form
and maintain.

>> nowhere else you can go for IP addresses that will be honored on the
>> Internet. And we apply strict, frequently arcane rules as to who can
>> have our IP addresses at all and how many they can have.
>
> We apply strict, arcane rules,  but the rules pertain to  the
> technical network design circumstances under which IP addresses are
> assigned.

Name one regulatory agency whose rules don't heavily pertain to
technical considerations within their knowledge domain.

The authority we successfully exercise is the authority we have. In
many respects, the precise source of that authority is academic. ARIN
successfully exercises regulatory-like authority over Internet address
assignment in North America.

A nonprofit, self-formed group of technicians with transnational
regulatory powers.

"When I see a bird that walks like a duck and swims like a duck and
quacks like a duck, I call that bird a duck." -James Whitcomb Riley

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004