[arin-ppml] RIPE/ITU

Eliot Lear lear at cisco.com
Thu Mar 4 09:03:49 EST 2010

  Dear Professor Mueller,

On 3/4/10 2:51 AM, Milton L Mueller wrote:
> But from a political standpoint, there is a threat. The threat comes from the fact that nation-states have certain forms of regulatory power that, imho, we don't want conjoined with address allocation because it could lead to exclusivity rather than competition/diversity in address allocation policies, and more centralized and controlling internet policies. In other words, the problem is NOT that the ITU wants to be a competitive registry under IANA. It IS that we can't trust nation-states to be open and competitive in their approach to this, especially the ones driving these initiatives at the ITU.

I think this is a very well put point, and one that deserves to be
explored more out in the open.  One of the questions I have is how
national priorities and values would be applied to CIRs, and how those
priorities and values might conflict with those espoused by the RIR (and
this) community.

Eliot