[arin-ppml] Future pressures on the ARIN policy process (Was: Use of "reserved" address space)

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Wed Jun 30 20:09:09 EDT 2010

Keith W. Hare wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 30, 2010 12:33 PM, William Herrin wrote:
>
>> Thoughts...
>
>> It's $500/year extra as an end-user to vote. That's steep enough that
>> end user orgs by and large won't participate unless their vote has
>> been bought. ...
>
> Meadow dressing.

I had to look that one up, never heard that term before.  For anyone
else, cow patties, works too.

> As an end user organization that has been paying $500/year extra, I'm offended by this assertion.

I agree, for any real organization that would like to involve itself in
this corner of Internet Governance, ARIN Membership and participation is
fairly reasonable.  Yes, if your organization really doesn't really care
then most any cost is expensive, but I'm not sure that is a bad thing.

Even participation in person at the meetings is not that that bad,
typically a $1000 to $2000 in travel and lodging. (Probably more if you
count the Bar tab, but I don't get to expense that, so that doesn't
count :) )  A bit more if you add in NANOG at one of the collocated
meetings, but that is still usually a good deal from a travel budget
point of view.  And ARIN provides fairly good remote participation
reducing costs significantly.

Compare that to participation in ICANN, IEEE, or the ITU, meaningful
participation in those organizations, if you can even join, is going to
cost you an order of magnitude or two more, 10 to 100 times.  I'll admit
this is not an entirely fair comparison, those organizations play much
different roles.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952