[arin-ppml] Use of "reserved" address space.

Keith W. Hare Keith at jcc.com
Wed Jun 30 15:44:28 EDT 2010

There is only so much that ARIN can do to enable a smooth transition to IPv6. As far as I can tell, the ability to assign/allocate IPv6 number resources is in place and working.

The biggest missing factor for Ipv6 transaction is that the computing industry doesn't understand that the end IPv4 address availability really is near.

This refusal by the computing industry to recognize the inevitable has led to a lack of market pressure on network vendors, so vendors are only just beginning to support IPv6.

I expect that in a year or so, there will be a lot of IPv4-is-ending hype similar to the Year 2000 hype in 1999, with the same level of understanding of the cause and the real implications.

In the mean time, ARIN should continue to operate the way they (we) have been operating and refrain from adopting policies that require changes to things which ARIN does not control.

Keith