[arin-ppml] Future pressures on the ARIN policy process (Was: Use of "reserved" address space)

Keith W. Hare Keith at jcc.com
Wed Jun 30 15:15:11 EDT 2010

Bill,

I have no idea how an exception can prove a rule, or why you think my company might be an exception.

We've had a /24 since 1991 and so are a legacy resource holder. We mostly ignored ARIN (because ARIN mostly ignored us) until about three years ago when there was some sort of outreach. At that point, I started monitoring the ARIN mailing lists and decided it made sense for us to support ARIN.

Compared to our costs for software and hardware maintenance, $500 for the ARIN membership is noise.

The bigger cost is the time to monitor and understand a percentage of the traffic on the ARIN lists.

So how many end users pay for ARIN membership? I have no idea, but I expect that they do so because they think it is the correct thing to do.

In any case, any organization has a larger influence by expressing a coherent opinion on the public policy discussion mailing list than by voting for the various candidates for ARIN offices.

Keith