[arin-ppml] Use of "reserved" address space.

James Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 23:08:22 EDT 2010

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 1:09 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

However,  it's not possible to draw resources away from IPv6
deployment that are not even performing anything required to further
IPv6 deployment in the first place.

> It seems sort of like deciding to pull the experts off the efforts to cap the
> well in the Gulf of Mexico in favor of having them build oil containment
> booms, since we don't have nearly enough of those.

That is an interesting analogy.    But do you abandon all efforts to
cap or contain, just to make sure no experts dare even think about
anything other than drilling relief wells?

The logical parallel for that analogy, being:   temporary CAP =
things like carrier grade NAT, freeing up 240/8, etc...     relief
wells = IPv6.      IPv6 is eventually a solution to all the addressing
shortage woes, however, implementation will take a long time, uptake
and rate of adoption are extremely low, and hardly any networks have
full V6 connectivity or will have full V6 connectivity anytime soon.

For many appliances that don't have IPv6 support at this stage,  it is
unlikely that the manufacturer is even working on it.  We  don't
really have a say in how companies choose to allocate their resources.

The resources required to adjust the status of 240/4  ought to be a
miniscule drop in the bucket.    The resources required for V6
deployment are massive.

--
-JH