[arin-ppml] Use of "reserved" address space.

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sun Jun 27 18:05:43 EDT 2010

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 2:09 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>> What isn't debatable is that we're approaching a dire shortage and
>> right now 240/4 is a honking lot of address space that benefits
>> exactly _nobody_.
>>
> But pulling resources off of IPv6 deployment to make this address space
> workable, even in the scenarios you suggest simply doesn't make sense.
> Taking resources away from a solution in order to propel a hack that will
> by all accounts take nearly as long as the solution in order to develop
> and deploy, especially when the solution already has momentum and
> is accelerating simply doesn't make sense to me.

Not a zero sum game. The likely resources mostly aren't working on
IPv6 right now regardless.

> It seems sort of like deciding to pull the experts off the efforts to cap the
> well in the Gulf of Mexico in favor of having them build oil containment
> booms, since we don't have nearly enough of those.

More like ramping up the manufacturing of oil booms independent of the
experts daily activities since the experts really aren't needed to
explain how to manufacture a plain old oil boom.

>>> Better to focus on v6 transition.
>>
>> Myopic. Unless another credible solution presents, IPv4 carrier NATs
>> -ARE- the v6 transition.
>>
> IPv4 carrier NATs are the temporary hack to get around the incomplete
> nature of the transition at runout. The transition is to native dual stack or
> native IPv6.

I hear exactly zero chatter in the ops forums about bypassing dual
stack in favor of going direct to native v6. I know some work has been
done on nat64 but are you aware of shipping COTS products designed for
enabling large scale collections of native v6 clients to communicate
with v4 servers?

Unless something changes, the transition is to dual stack. Which
requires an IPv4 address. From somewhere.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004