[arin-ppml] Petition for advancement of Policy Proposal #112 to Draft Policy status

James Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 13:03:56 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 11:02 AM, Joe Maimon <jmaimon at chl.com> wrote:

> Following the AC's abandonment of Policy Proposal #112, I formally petition
> to advance to draft policy status the proposal and for it to be discussed at
> an upcoming ARIN Public Policy meeting.

If  ARIN did not intend to allocate that /8,  then  the IANA should
take that last /8 back, and assign to another RIR,
as  (in that case) ARIN clearly  had no justified need for  applying
for a /8 that it does not  have a policy of allocating.

I do not support this petition. I believe the rationale for this
proposal is not satisfactory,
and the AC is correct to abandon.   If the author could include a
compelling statement
regarding how the last /8 is to be used, and a very good reason that
usage isn't immediately
to be put into  policy as allowed, then, there might be a basis for
the community to further
consider the proposal.

If you feel the /8  should be allocated in a different manner,  or
that it would be prudent to allocate new addresses
in a different manner,   then  it would be more useful to have a
proposal to that effect.

ARIN's role  is not to prevent  free IP addresses  in its pool from
being properly allocated,
just because it is about to run out.

--
-JH