[arin-ppml] Global Policy for IPv4 Allocations by the IANA PostExhaustion (Version 2)

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Fri Jun 4 04:33:59 EDT 2010

>The IANA *must* accept into the Reclamation Pool all eligible IPv4

>address space that is offered for return.

> >Yes, I prefer 'shall' to 'must' myself but I think you're right about
making it more definitive.

IANA is a creature of IETF and will interpret these policies according
to IETF language standards.

RFC 2119 says this:

    MUST   This word, or the terms "REQUIRED" or "SHALL", mean that the

    definition is an absolute requirement of the specification.

That means that this change is neither more nor less definitive. It
means exactly the

same thing.

I believe that this policy is not even needed and that it is too late to
be making policies

that take effect when Ipv4 runout occurs.

--Michael Dillon