[arin-ppml] Set aside round deux

Hannigan, Martin marty at akamai.com
Fri Jul 30 09:56:07 EDT 2010

On 7/30/10 1:18 AM, "Andrew Dul" <andrew.dul at quark.net> wrote:

>    Has anyone considered that maybe what we should do is just reserve the
> block for future use and not try to predict the future too much at this point
> and instead comeback after IPv4 exhaustion and then write an appropriate
> policy.  Yes this does kick the ball down the field, but it also allows the
> ability to have space to work with in the future to use for an appropriate use
> after IPv4 run-out.
>
>  Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Guess I'm not sure what would be speculation or not. I think that there are
some facts at hand:

-  ipv4 addresses will run out at the IANA this year
-  at least three RIR's (ARIN, RIPE, APNIC) will run out of ipv4 address
   space next year
-  networks will need to find ipv4 addresses in order to grow and transition

We could modify such a proposal later if it were posed and succeeds, and
finally, if something is broken horribly and there's consensus the BoT could
act (and probably not be vilified).

Setting aside a block for future use doesn't seem prudent to me. The time to
take it from "reserved" to "in use" would be significant. The fact that we
don't have policy already that sets a direction for transition is troubling
and I see the opportunity to do that with a solid set-aside proposal.

Best,

Marty