[arin-ppml] Set aside round deux

Joe Maimon jmaimon at chl.com
Fri Jul 30 09:54:02 EDT 2010

michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:
>> Didn't one
>> of the academics do a peer-reviewed study and a scan of the Internet
>> last year with results suggesting (among other things) that about
>> 2/3rds of the allocated address space is not employed on the public
>> Internet?
>
> Irrelevant.
> ARIN does not allocate IP addresses for the public Internet.
>
> ARIN's role is to allocate IP addresses to organizations that require them
> in order to build and operate Internet Protocol networks. While many of these
> private networks are interconnected to form the public Internet, that is not
> relevant to ARIN's mission. It has never been mandatory to make your IP
> network part of the public Internet and there is no good reason to change
> that.
>
> --Michael Dillon

All that is historically true. Now it is only true to a much lesser extent.

Current reality is that globally unique addresses are of most value on
the global network and I would be quite surprised if the percentage of
allocation for other purposes was above single percentage digits.

Policy already differentiates for multi-homers to the global network.
Does that mean that policy requires the allocations to these
multi-homers on that basis to be routable?  In my experience, the common
impression is yes, it does.

That a large portion of allocations as well as legacy space appear to be
non-routed is more likely due to happenstance rather than the
intentional design and purpose of the allocation at the time it was made.

I expect, and I hope, that requests for global resources that are not to
be addressable on the global network must demonstrate why site-local
rfc1918 addressing is not sufficient for their needs, as it is for the
overwhelming majority of network not directly addressable from the
global network.

I do believe that suitable need can be demonstrated in a minority of
situations.

Policy that dictates that requests for global resources must demonstrate
a global need for those resources is not out of order.

Demonstrating justified global need should not nearly be as easy for
resources intended to not being addressable on the global network as
otherwise.

Joe