[arin-ppml] Ending point to point links as a justification for a /30?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Jul 29 23:02:25 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 1:03 PM, James Hess <mysidia at gmail.com> wrote:
> Use of  echo-request for circuit monitoring and troubleshooting is
> also more reliable than other techniques, in certain situations.
> It allows the ISP subscriber to get useful traceroute information, and
> check their WAN up/down status,  and get some limited idea of
> latency/performance, without  being granted access to the ISP's
> equipment.

Hi James,

I use that very technique in one of my systems. Except for the one
unnumbered link. For that one, I static route the upstream hop's IP
address and prevent it from transiting the other links. Accomplishes
exactly the same thing without burning addresses on the point to
point.

Always another way and rarely hard to find.

> ARIN should be careful and judicious and avoid mandating new
> technology requirements that could have unforseen negative effects,

Hear you loud and clear. How about instead encouraging address-saving
technology improvements short of mandating them, and then waiting to
see what folks decide for themselves about whether the improvements
are good enough to use?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004