[arin-ppml] Ending point to point links as a justification for a /30?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Jul 29 14:34:29 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 5:21 AM, Joe Maimon <jmaimon at chl.com> wrote:
> William Herrin wrote:
>> I don't think we even give 'em point to point links. For the last /8
>> the vendors can damn well fix their code to originate ICMP from the
>> loop0 address instead of the RFC1918 address on the interface.
>
> I completely agree. That feature would be really lovely along with other
> control plane traffic handling improvements and wider availability of proper
> address abstraction off of the physical interface.

How much support would there be for a policy proposal to exclude point
to point links as a justification for any global IP addresses
effective, say, 1/1/2012? Along with a stern recommendation from ARIN
to the routing vendors that they update their software to prevent the
non-availability of of addresses for point to point links from causing
malfunctions with ICMP warnings and errors?

You'd still be able to justify an IP address for the router, of
course, but you wouldn't be able to justify any addresses for the
individual point to point links, regardless of technology employed. So
you'd end up using unnumbered serial interfaces and RFC1918 addresses
on the point to point ethernets.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004