[arin-ppml] Set aside round deux

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Wed Jul 28 04:43:08 EDT 2010

> If you are worried about vast tracts of IPs ripe for the plucking,
> then let's write policy to find and recover those tracts - Or at least
> to stop Orgs with those unused/underused resources from getting more.
> Size, type, industry are not the issues here; efficient utilization
> is.

Find and recover is a non-starter because it costs too much money
for ARIN to do this kind of detailed audit.

Efficient utilization is unknown without audits.

Therefore, make the set-aside policy only available for orgs whose
address allocations are less than a certain threshold.

--Michael Dillon

P.S. Fairness is irrelevant. Any set aside policy is unfair. Doing nothing is unfair.
Life is unfair. We aren't here to change the world, just to reduce the chaos and
disorder of the IPv6 transition.

Period.