[arin-ppml] Possible amendment to proposal 116 (small experts panel)

James Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 01:21:33 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 10:27 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 4:02 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> Recommendations by panel active only upon ratification by the BoT
> 3 individuals on the panel (keep it small and nimble):
> 1 from ARIN staff
> 1 AC member selected by the AC
> 1 from academia selected by the board (specifically not affiliated
> with an IR or any ARIN members)

Is this really a suitable way of making a panel of experts?   What
criteria would they be required to use in determining if something is
an eligible transition technology, and  how do we determine how much
space  is warranted to be needed to use the technology, AND  what
organization(s) can apply.....
as in,  the requirements/justifications  required to use a transition
technology  ?

> Use plans (including number of addresses justified by the plan)
> crafted by members of the general public. Fill out and post a standard
> form to PPML. 1 week discussion and debate. If the author changes the proposal based
> on the feedback, the clock starts over at 1 week.
> Panel discusses privately following public discussion (conference call
> and email). Votes when ready but no later than 1 week following public

So  why not just let the   BoT  discuss any PPML discussion for
proposed uses,   appoint  some member of the AC or ARIN staff    to
propose when an old acceptable use should be removed,   and  to decide
 if a proposal has enough public input to be considered?

I would say,  public involvement removes the need for the 'panel'  to
be  a 'panel of experts',  since there are experts from the public who
would comment on the discussion.

Use the normal petition process,  to allow any decision 'not to
include' a proposal in what the BoT will consider, to be overridden by
the public.

Why allow private discussion,   what is the reason for allowing any
information at all
about how the 'list'  or other policy  was developed,  to be hidden
from the public?

--
-JH