[arin-ppml] Set aside round deux

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Jul 28 00:57:05 EDT 2010

On Jul 27, 2010, at 8:29 PM, William Herrin wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 5:25 PM, Jason Schiller <schiller at uu.net> wrote:
>> For many CGNs are too costly.
>
> No price is too high if you can sell it for more. No cost is low
> enough if you can't.
>
> I can sell "security enhanced Internet service for your protection,"
> that sits behind a NAT firewall.  I prepared this email using such a
> service in my hotel room. Doubtless you've used a few such services
> yourself. There's no fundamental reason it wouldn't be valid in other
> eyeball networks, not just hotels and hot spots.

Indeed I have used such services. They have always caused so many
problems that after a couple of hours on the phone with technical
support, my charges for the service are refunded.

Does that count as a sale?

> Will you be able to sell Ipv6 only service, or IPv6 service with
> hacked-up DNS that lets you do v6 to v4 gatewaying? Is that what your
> customers tell you they want to buy?

Customers for the most part do not care how you provide it, they merely
want access to the "full internet" where the definition of "full internet" means
whatever combination of content and services said user considers
meaningful.

That can be done with hacked-up DNS doing v6 to v4 gatewaying on
pure IPv6 service, B4/AFTR (DS-LITE), or several other less optimal solutions
during the transition.

Bottom line, we'll run out of IPv4 addresses. Depending how many
things we allow the set-aside pool to be fed into, we'll run out of that
sooner or later, too.

> Let me offer a rude viewpoint to gauge reaction: the 4.10 addresses
> shouldn't be available to the X-larges at all. Period. The X-larges
> have vast tracts of IPv4 addresses from which they can find a few to
> facilitate IPv4 function during the v6 transition. 4.10 addresses
> should be for folks who didn't have a lot of v4 addresses to start
> with and need just a few more to carry them through to v6 ubiiquity.
>

> Thoughts?

While I understand the sentiment, and am personally sypmathetic
to it, I cannot agree from a policy perspective. I no more think it is
right to prohibit the x-larges from getting space if they need it for
transitional technologies than to prohibit the small and x-small
organizations from getting it.

Owen