[arin-ppml] Discussion Petition for Proposal 109 - Standardize IP Reassignment Registration Requirements

Chris Grundemann cgrundemann at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 15:38:16 EDT 2010

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 12:09, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> As much as I favor moving proposals to the full community, I agree
> with the AC's assessment. At the very least it should come back as
> separate v4 and v6 proposals before moving forward.
>
> Pushing heavy-handed documentation requirements on IPv6 doesn't seem
> particularly timely to me. If anything, a little deliberate
> inattention could help grease the deployment skids. I would not
> support a proposal that placed additional documentation requirements
> on the use of IPv6 right now.

I see it slightly differently - I think that bringing the IPv4 and
IPv6 requirements and policy text in line with each other as a
facilitator of IPv6 deployment. To quote myself: "These structural
changes are meant to make it easier to compare the two sections. I
believe that having the IPv6 and IPv4 policies written in completely
different formats and structures (as they are in many cases now)
confuses the issues and makes it very hard to understand what is
different and what is the same across the two sections. Bringing them
into a similar format should help ease the migration to IPv6 as folks
can quickly and easily understand the differences and the
similarities."

> On the other hand, I hold IPv4 reassignments from Sprint, Verizon,
> Cox, Qwest and Twtelecom. Of the five, only TWTelecom has registered
> all of my reassignments /28 and larger in whois. Too many of the
> X-Larges aren't holding up their end of the bargain when it comes to
> the privileges they've been granted as LIRs. Given the impending
> shortage of IPv4 addresses, it makes good sense to me to shorten the
> leash.

I am glad to hear that my employer is doing it right! And I fully
agree that most are not (and that something should be done about
that).

> For these reasons, I OPPOSE the petition to move the proposal 109
> forward as written. Split it up and if the AC still fails to act on
> it, ask me again.

Thanks for the feedback Bill. I am still very hopeful that this
petition succeeds and we are allowed to have this conversation at
length in Atlanta. =)
~Chris

--
@ChrisGrundemann