[arin-ppml] Possible amendment to proposal 116

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sat Jul 24 14:23:28 EDT 2010

I have received some comments on proposal 116 (currently under petition for discussion)
in private email and want to get some community feedback on the idea.

Basically, it has been suggested that rather than the list of example technologies and
leaving the decision of what represents a valid transitional technology up to staff that
the proposal be amended to have the BoT create a panel of experts which will meet
monthly (likely via teleconference) to consider what should or should not qualify as a
transitional technology for purposes of NRPM 4.10 et. seq.

My current inclination is to think that is a lot of extra process and rather heavy compared
to the need at hand, but, the author makes a compelling enough case i private that
I thought the matter was worthy of additional discussion in public. I won't repost
the author's private emails. He is subscribed to PPML and can express himself here
if he chooses. However, I would like to know what others think. The proposal can
be amended accordingly if there is community support to do so.

Finally, I would like to encourage any of you who think proposal 116 merits discussion
by the community, even if you do not support it as written, to support the petition so that
we get the opportunity to discuss it and refine it in Atlanta. Remember, supporting the
petition merely means that you want to give the community the opportunity to discuss
the matter. It does not necessarily mean that you support the proposal.

Owen