[arin-ppml] How bad is it really?

Lee Howard spiffnolee at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 15 06:41:33 EDT 2010

I shouldn't get involved in this.

[RE: Verizon SWIP elided]
There's nothing wrong with an ISP providing their contact information
on the record.  They do need to clean up their database.

History:
Policy proposal 2002-8 https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/2002_8.html
said you could privatize some contact information, as long as there was at
least one responsive contact.  The text now found in NRPM 3.3 is terser.
It was discussed at the public policy meeting
https://www.arin.net/participate/meetings/reports/ARIN_X/ppm_minutes.html#2002_8

The intent of this policy, as I recall, was to ensure that there was at least
one responsive contact, where in many cases the end-user was not a
network administrator, and would not be able to respond to reports of
network incidents.  There was no debate on the mailing list, and it was
clear from the discussion (it passed 53-0) that every ISP intended to
substitute their own NOC info for their customers, except when the
customer had a good contact.

So UUNET provided NOC info instead of customer info.  I made that
decision.  I made it based on my understanding of policy and best
practice at the time.

Also around that time, I staffed up a "disconnect" team at UUNET
(then MCI/WorldCom).  I had five full-time people dedicated to
clearing out records from disconnecting customers.  It's hard work;
you have to check every single record of the customer to see whether
the customer has truly disconnected, or just moved, and whether they
or somebody else is now using that resource (port, address, domain).
It takes an hour to clean out records from one customer.
Although I was able to show that we saved money by dedicating
staff to it, this was the time of layoffs, following WorldCom's fraud.
The team was understaffed.  Not much later, I quit.

Lee