[arin-ppml] Future pressures on the ARIN policy process (Was: Use of "reserved" address space)

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Jul 1 18:04:11 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 3:34 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> On Jul 1, 2010, at 8:17 AM, William Herrin wrote:
>> 3450 non-trivial ISPs in the ARIN region, all eligible to vote on who
>> sits on the AC or board
>>
>> 20 non-ISPs in the ARIN region eligible to vote on who sites on the AC or board.
>>
>> Unknown number of organizations with non-trivial address holdings (/27
>> or larger). either directly from ARIN or via their ISP in the ARIN
>> region  Lower bound likely to be at least 100,000.
>>
>> Non-ISP interests represented during board and AC elections: fraction
>> of a percent and not a large fraction.
>
> While you make this accusation, I can point to several members of the board
> and AC who are not employed by ISPs. I, myself, was not employed by an ISP
> when I was elected.

Which says a lot about the integrity of the people involved in the
process but not a lot about the integrity of the process itself.

> I think that the balance on PPML and at the public policy meetings is somewhat
> different from this voting block as you characterize it as well.

I didn't characterize the balance of people on PPML or at the meetings
at all. I spoke only to the balance of folks voting in the elections
for AC and the board.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004