[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 95: Customer Confidentiality

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Sat Jan 30 09:45:32 EST 2010

James Hess wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 11:54 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>> Has anyone -ever- notified ARIN that one of its ISP members solicited
>> a contact found via whois? What action did ARIN take?
>
> well..
> https://www.arin.net/contact_us.html
>
> Does not list any contact detail for  WHOIS abuse reports.
> And    https://www.arin.net/whois_tou.html
> The  URL  listed  when you perform a WHOIS query,  does not say
> anything about that.
>
> If  ARIN  is serious about wishing to be notified of suspected
> violations of the WHOIS policy, some means  to receive that
> notification  should be listed..
>
> Including actual instructions or guidance as to  the preferred method
> of  notifying ARIN.

OK, I think your criticisms might be slightly valid hear, there is
nothing explicitly telling you where to send complaints of this kind.

But from;

https://www.arin.net/contact_us.html

listed under hostmaster at arin.net

     *   Registration Services questions (e.g. requests for number
resources and other services, SWIP, reports of bad POCs, transfers, etc.)
     * Where to find Registration Services information on the website
     * Submission of all templates (except reassignments and reallocations)
     * Ticket status information
     * DNS questions
     * Requests for database reports
     * Network abuse issues and spam
     * ARIN policy questions
     * WHOIS questions
     * Revocation questions
     * Country code questions
     * Statistics questions
     * Routing Registry questions
     * General questions about ARIN's services

So while "WHOIS terms of use violations" is not listed there, I do see
"Network abuse issues and spam", "ARIN policy questions", and "WHOIS
questions" that I think are at least related.  Finally, there is a
qualifying default route "General questions about ARIN's services"

Given this list, I'll bet if you were to send such a report to
hostmaster at arin.net that someone would take it seriously.

Finally, if you feel this isn't sufficient you could make a suggestion here:

https://www.arin.net/participate/acsp/index.html

That "WHOIS terms of use violations" be explicitly listed on the contact
us page, and I'll bet beer that it will get done.  At the very least you
would get an official response from ARIN Staff.

Given the existence of the ACSP, making suggestion on PPML of this
nature are mostly rhetorical.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952