[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 95: Customer Confidentiality

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Fri Jan 29 19:57:32 EST 2010

William Herrin wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 6:07 PM, Joe Morgan <joe at joesdatacenter.com> wrote:
>> If I was going to hide a spammer would I provide the actual swip
>> information in the first place?
>
> Certainly. If you were clever about it, you'd SWIP it to look like a
> bunch of entirely different residential customers. If you were subtle
> about it, you could keep the antispam folks chasing their tails for
> weeks before they started to smell a rat.
>

> SWIP's point is to "keep honest people honest." You cook the books in
> plain view and sooner or later someone will poke around and realize
> something isn't right. So you don't cook the books. You pad your
> requests a little bit, maybe you're a bit tardy deallocating departed
> customers, but you don't make a big hoarding grab. And you can have
> confidence that no one else will either because they have the same
> hurdle you do.
>
> Hide enough information to make public audits impossible and you
> defeat the whole point of SWIP.

ARIN does not have the time or money to even audit REACHABILITY
OF EMAIL ADDRESSES in WHOIS that is why they are using parliamentary
delaying tricks on Section 3.6.1 of the NRPM.  The idea that they
would ever "privately" audit WHOIS is a joke.  If you take away the
ability to publically audit WHOIS then it will NEVER be audited.

Ted