[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 95: Customer Confidentiality

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Jan 29 13:25:56 EST 2010

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 5:02 PM, Member Services <info at arin.net> wrote:
> With the message below a petition has started regarding the ARIN
> Advisory Council's decision to abandon Proposal 95: Customer
> Confidentiality. ARIN staff posted on 21 January 2010 to PPML that the
> ARIN Advisory Council (AC) had decided to abandon the proposal.
>
> If successful, this petition will change Proposal 95 into a Draft Policy
> which will be published for discussion and review by the community on
> the PPML and at the Public Policy Meeting in April. If the petition
> fails, the proposal will be closed.

I SUPPORT THE PETITION to move proposal 95 forward to a draft policy.
The proposal is actionable and well formed and there is very obviously
significant community interest. That a similar policy was defeated
half a decade ago is insufficient cause to block this proposal's
introduction and debate within the full policy community including
ARIN meeting attendees.

William Herrin
AS 11875
3005 Crane Dr.
Falls Church, VA 22042

That having been said, I oppose the policy proposal itself. Disclosure
is critical to transparency in ARIN's process. Transparency is far
more important than any corporate desire to avoid competition. Should
the AC ultimately decide not to recommend it to the board on the
grounds that it makes for bad policy, I will support that choice.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004