[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 95: Customer Confidentiality

George Bonser gbonser at seven.com
Thu Jan 28 21:14:02 EST 2010

Because there is no guarantee that because you SWIPed a network to
someone that any of the traffic from that network is even going through
you.

An example from practical experience:

Little dot-com gets SWIPed a /24 from you.  Then they actually produce a
product and decide they need to be multihomed.  They also get a /24 from
their new provider.  Then they get even bigger and they move their
production operations to their new colo facility that is owned by
someone else.  They decide to keep the /24 they have been using from you
for their production facility which is also multihomed but that subnet
is being announced only to the second and third provider.

The second /24 they got from their second office provider is their
office connectivity and being announced to you and the other office
provider.

So ... customer has a /24 of your space but not a single bit of that
traffic is flowing through your network.  That customer has not violated
any ToS with your network.  What are you going to do about it?

But luckily I looked at the BGP route and discovered that the network
doesn't flow through you and called them to pitch them on my great new
network service for 10 cents a meg!

What I am saying is that the ONLY benefit this proposal offers that I
can tell is to protect the commercial interests of transit providers.
Publishing of this data isn't a new thing that has suddenly harmed
transit providers.  It is the way the market has been forever.  It is
like an apartment manager demanding the phone company remove all his
tenants' addresses from the phone book because the market is tight and
he doesn't want a competing apartment complex calling them and offering
them better deals.

How does this proposal benefit me or the public at large?