[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2010-1: Waiting List for Unmet IPv4 Requests

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Thu Jan 28 15:26:46 EST 2010

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> Owen DeLong wrote:
>> Both are tools. Section 3.6.1 provides for detection and
>> identification of abandoned resources. Section 12 provides for the
>> reclamation of underutilized resources regardless of the method used
>> to identify or detect them.
>
> Correct - keep in mind though that while abandoned resources are
> underutilized resources, underutilized resources are not abandoned
> resources.

Nit: underutilized resources are not _necessarily_ abandoned, i.e.
"abandoned" is a subset of "underutilized".

> By definition an abandoned resource does not have an organization that
> is defending a claim on it, and it is a waste of time to attempt to
> "reclaim" it through any review/reclamation procedures that Section 12
> may outline.
>
> I mean, for goodness sake, if no POC on a resource is valid, how is
> ARIN supposed to "solicited information from the resource holder"
> (that's right out of section 12) when there's no valid contact for a
> resource holder?

If the POCs are not valid, then ARIN should make a reasonable effort to
contact them (or the organization itself) via some other means.  If ARIN
is unsuccessful, then the registrant has obviously not provided the
necessary information to fulfill their requirements under the policy and
the resource can be revoked.

IIRC, failing to keep your contact information current (or pay fees) is
a violation of the RSA, so ARIN could reclaim "abandoned" resources
covered by an RSA without this policy.  ARIN's authority to reclaim
legacy (non-RSA, non-LRSA) resources in general is an unresolved
question, though, and one that 2007-14 deliberately sidestepped to
prevent the debate from getting hijacked.

You are welcome to submit a policy proposal to change any of the above,
of course.