[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2010-1: Waiting List for Unmet IPv4 Requests

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 11:52:37 EST 2010

On 1/28/2010 7:18 AM, michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:

> I gather you would rather see a system where people apply to
> ARIN once, demonstrate their need once, and get their choice
> of whatever addresses are on the shelf,
> or a chit to be used when they find addresses in the market,
> or a place in a waiting list for reclaimed addresses on the shelf,
> or some combination of the three.
>
> Let's see, little ISP needs a /22 and applies to ARIN. They are
> approved but there is only one /24 on the shelf. Little ISP
> says, we'll take it, plus a chit for another /24, plus a place
> in the queue for two more /24s. If they are unhappy with the
> results of their market search, ARIN lets them exchange the
> chit for another place in the queue, behind their original
> queue postion for two /24s.

That's similar to what I'm proposing, but 2010-1's process is actually
slightly simpler: the ISP can either take the /24, and go away for 3
months, or they can get in line for a /22 or a /23.  They can't be in
multiple places in multiple lines, so "place in the queue" and "chit"
reduce to the exact same thing.

> That could work. How could it be done with a simple policy that
> doesn't overmanage the situation?

Please feel free to write it up, so we can do a direct apples-to-apples
comparison.  Or, if you prefer, feel free to point out which parts of
2010-1 are overly complicated and should be simplified or eliminated.

Thanks!
Scott